Monday, May 11, 2009

Persuasive Essay Analysis

The title of my article is Twilight on Equality, written by Catherine S. I found this article on teenink.com.
The opening paragraph contains the thesis, which is; why the author has a problem with Twilight. The author did an excellent job at catching my attention in the first paragraph, because they added some humour, which would only be recognizable to the fans and readers of Twilight, which lets the fans connect to this piece first thing.
This article has six paragraphs, which all relate to the thesis in some way.
The writer uses a lot of information, and other sources to back up their argument, for example;
"But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself."
The writer has convinced me of their argument, because they are right. I never noticed that Twilight shows that women are inferior to men until I read this article, I just looked at the romantic side of the novel.
The writer could have gotten other opinions from people who agree with her in order to strengthen her points, or she could have gave more examples.
I found the conclusion very effective, because the author brought all of her points and thoughts together in a unique way, and left me thinking. I really liked this article, because i am a Twilight fan and reader, and i can relate to it well. It also got me thinking that i should read novels more clearly and in more depth now.

0 comments: